Age of Empires II: The Forgotten (abbreviated to AoF) is the second official expansion pack for Age of Empires II. Originating as a fan-made modification entitled Age of Empires II: The Forgotten Empires, development with studio SkyBox Labs saw it released in 2013 through Steam exclusively. It features five new civilizations, (the Italians, Incas, Indians, Magyars and Slavs), new units and technologies, new maps, enhanced AI, a higher population limit, greater on-screen rendering, bug fixes and several tweaks to old units, technologies, and bonuses for improved gameplay balance. The expansion requires the Age of Empires II HD Edition for installation.
AoF also includes four new campaigns. Those are:
- Alaric: The trauma of the Hun invasion in the 4th century has shaped Alaric, the fearsome warrior king of the Goths. But can the beloved king secure a new homeland for his people in the territory of the collapsing Roman Empire?
- Sforza: Always hungry for glory and wealth, Sforza wanders around 15th century Italy, offering his services to the highest bidder. Will he pick the right battles or make the wrong enemy? Take the fate of the young mercenary captain in your hands.
- Bari: 400 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Italy is still up for grabs. Relive the tale of the port city Bari from the point of view of a Byzantine family, rising from the common soldiery to the nobility. Beware, for not only Bari is at stake, but also control of Southern Italy.
- Dracula: History forged an incredible legend around the man who ruled Wallachia in the mid-14th century. Holding his ground against the vast armies of the expanding Ottoman Empire, his cruel tactics made him the most feared man in all of Eastern Europe. Shall his thirst for blood and the loyalty of his soldiers hold the Turks back for good?
- Cartography is free to research, requires a market.
- Cavalry Archers cost -5 gold
- Palisade walls take +1 second to build
- Stone Walls take +3 seconds to build
- Capped Rams garrison 5 units (from 4)
- Fireships +20 HP
- Demolition Ships +10 HP
- Building HP reduced in Dark and Feudal Age
- Long Swordmen +5 HP
- Long Swordmen (and up) +2 attack vs eagles
- Long Swordmen (and up) +1 hidden armor vs buildings
- Trade Cogs generate +10% gold
- Monks holding relics suffer from anti-monk damage too now
- Town Patrol costs -100 gold (300 food, 100 gold)
- Murder Holes costs -100 stone
- Trebuchet accuracy against trees increased
- Onagers can kill trees
- Outposts cost -5 stone
- Petards cost -15 food (65 food, 20 gold)
- Spear-line +2 attack vs camels
- Stone walls -50% HP in feudal age
- Fervor fixed (never worked in AoC)
- Chemistry affects Castles and Town Centers
- Heavy Camel upgrade -20 secs research time
- Castles +1 LOS (range bug)
- Villagers can be garrisoned inside rams
- Free loom removed
- Start with +50 gold
- Jaguar Warriors +1 pierce armor
- Get Cannon Galleons
- Longbowman creation time -1 sec
- Receive Heavy Scorpions
- Furor Celtica gives siege units +40% HP
- Town Center LOS +5 (moved from Teutons)
- Foragers work +25% faster
- Get squires
- Throwing Axeman (non-elite) missile delay -2 (from 12 to 10, elite stays at 8)
- Elite Throwing Axeman research cost -100 gold
- Treadmill Crane removed
- Cannon Galleons removed
- Cavalry archers cost -15% and -25%, reduced from -25% and -30%
- Treadmill Crane removed
- Tarkan (non-elite) +10 HP
- Get bloodlines
- Turtle Boats -10% cheaper (180 wood, 180 gold)
- War Wagon creation time decreased from 25 to 21 seconds
- Fortifications (walls, towers, castles) built 25% faster
- Team Bonus changed: Mangonels & Onagers minimum range reduced
- Base cost for Plumed Archers increased to 50 gold, 50 wood
- Elite Cannon Galleons removed
- Elite Mangudai Siege bonus mostly limited to Trebuchets and Rams: (+6) +4 vs Trebuchets, (+6) +4 vs Rams, +1 vs other siege, from (+5) +3 to all siege units.
- Mangudai (non-elite) delay -50% (from 10 to 5)
- Market costs -75 wood
- Missionaries affected by Bloodlines
- Town Center LOS restored to normal (moved to Chinese)
- Town Center garrison +10 units, maximum arrows +5
- Town Center +2 attack removed
- Teutonic Knight (non-elite) +10 HP
- Teutonic Knight (and elite) speed increased from 0.65 to 0.70.
- Team bonus fixed (didn’t work automatically in AoC)
- Elite Janissaries are now affected by the Turkish team bonus
- Team Bonus: Docks 15% cheaper (rather than 25%) (Docks cost 128 wood instead of 113 wood)
- Viking ship cost now staggered per age: 10% cheaper in Feudal, 15% in Castle, 20% in Imperial
- Get Treadmill Crane
- Berserk (non-elite) +4 HP
- Longboat wood cost same as Galley
- Berserkergang costs 850 food, 400 gold, from 500 food, 850 gold
New features Edit
Like The Conquerors Expansion, this expansion features five additional playable civilizations:
|Group||Eastern European||Eastern Asian||Meso-American||Own architecture style|
- Magyars: The people who created the nation of Hungary, the Magyars were initially nomads from the Eastern steppes. A cavalry civilization, their unique unit is the Magyar Huszar.
- Indians: Many Indian kingdoms were active in the medieval period. In AoFE, they are a camel and gunpowder civilization and their unique units are the Elephant Archer and Imperial Camel.
- Incas: The first civilization from South America and the most expanded in Middle Age, the Incas established a vast empire and conquered many other tribes before eventually succumbing to the Spanish. They are an infantry civilization and have two unique units; the Kamayuk and the Slinger.
- Italians: The various cities of Italy were the sites of much technological, artistic, and military achievement during the middle ages. They are an archer and naval civilization, with the Genoese Crossbowman as their unique unit. They and their allies can also train Condottieri at their barracks.
- Slavs: Representing the peoples of Russia, the Ukraine, Poland, Czechoslovakia and the Balkans. They are an infantry/siege civilization and their unique unit is the Boyar.
Incas are Meso-American Civilization, hence they lack cavalry or gunpowder units of any type. But like the other Meso-American civilization they have the Eagle Warrior line. The Indians also lack the Knight line but their stronger camels fulfill this position.
- Elephant Archer
- Eagle Scout
- Genoese Crossbowman
- Imperial Camel
- Magyar Huszar
- Siege Tower
- Eastern Swordsman
- Nordic Swordsman
- Royal Janissary
- Wild camel
- In The Forgotten, every civilization has two unique technologies: one in the Castle Age, and one in the Imperial Age. Both must be researched at the Castle.
- Eagle Warriors must be upgraded from Eagle Scouts.
- The new technology Gillnets are added to all civilizations.
|Age of Empires series|
|Main titles||Age of Empires · Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings · Age of Empires III|
|Spin-offs||Age of Mythology · Age of Empires Online|
|Expansion packs||Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome · Age of Empires II: The Conquerors · Age of Empires II: The Forgotten · Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs · Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties · Age of Mythology: The Titans|
|Handheld games||Age of Empires: The Age of Kings · Age of Empires: Mythologies · Age of Empires III|
|Boardgames||Age of Mythology: The Boardgame · Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery|