|Cost|| 35 Food,|
|Upgraded From||Short Swordsman|
|Upgraded To||Long Swordsman|
Broad Swordsman is a unit in Age of Empires that is a stronger upgrade of the Short Swordsman. The Broad Sword Technology is available at the Barracks in the Bronze Age for 300 Gold and 120 Food . The Broad Swordsman can be upgraded further to a Long Swordsman once Iron Age is reached.
The Broad Swordsman is stronger than the Short Swordsman and is an upgrade available immediately after researching the Short Sword. Only four civilizations in the game cannot upgrade to the Broad Sword. It has more hit points and attack, making it useful in the Bronze Age, being better equipped to stand up to cavalry. However, their speed still poses a problem, making them vulnerable to archers, just like Short Swordsmen. However, they do make a good army in massed numbers for a Bronze Age assault.
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Scale Armor: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Logistics: Decreases population usage by 1/2.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3 points.
- Chain Mail: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Can be upgraded to the Long Swordsman.
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Roman swordsmen attack +33% faster
- Broad Swordsman is not available for Egyptians, Greeks and Yamato.
Unit Evolution: Broad Swordsman
|Short Swordsman --> Broad Swordsman --> Long Swordsman --> Legion|
This unit is seen in Age of Empires II as a "Heavy Swordsman" but is only available if unlocked from the scenario editor.
|Age of Empires Units|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege Weapons||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaut|
|Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|