The Clubman is the first and most basic infantry unit in Age of Empires and the only military unit trainable in the Stone Age. Being the first, it is also the weakest infantry unit and should be upgraded to Axeman as soon as possible in the Tool Age. Clubman can be trained from the Barracks.
- Toolworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Leather Armor: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Battle Axe: Upgrades Clubmen into Axemen.
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Scale Armor: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Logistics: Decreases population usage by 1/2.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3 points.
- Chain Mail: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Macedonian Clubmen have +2 line of sight and are more resistant to conversion
The first soldiers were local people called up for military duty in times of emergency. These temporary soldiers were commonly armed with any weapon used for hunting game and other wildlife. A common development of these weapons were wooden spears and large pieces of wood or bone. These tools were easily made since they could be crafted very easily and were an extension of weapons already used for hunting and gathering. Early troops that used these weapons were effective and needed minimum training. The club itself had very little practical use other than for combat against other humans since it was too slow and cumbersome to hunt game. These early fighters eventually became obsolete following the Neolithic Revolution, as better tools and toolworking became available. Some of these improvements included improved stoneworking and woodworking, and later the introduction of more advanced metal weapons made from bronze.
Related Articles Edit
- Axeman (Age of Empires)
- Axeman (Age of Mythology)
- Militia (Age of Empires II)
- Militia (Age of Mythology)
|Age of Empires Units|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege Weapons||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaut|
|Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|