El Cid (1044–1099) was a Spanish nobleman and military leader. His story of his military service under King Sancho of Castille, as well as his exile to the Moorish lands, and his eventual death, are all depicted in the El Cid campaign of the The Conquerors expansion pack.
Brother against Brother Edit
The mission starts of with the player having possession of only El Cid himself, El Cid proceeds to a tournament, and by defeating an opposing Two-Handed Swordsman and Knight, he becomes the champion of King Sancho of castille. King Sancho then gives El Cid a decent army of Conquistadors, Knights and Long Swordsmen, as well as four Villagers.
King Sancho then gives El Cid his objective; to capture King Alfonso, so they can speak- and maybe peace between their reigns can be restored. This is done by destroying the Castle in the center of the fort in the west, owned by the team King Alfonso's Army (blue/Spanish). You can take control from the Serf's village near the river.
- King Sancho (yellow/Spanish). They are the largest team on the map, occupying the entire eastern and southern regions of the map. They are your strongest ally, and have six Castle, meaning almost any attack aimed at them would be in vain, however, they do not have much in the way of an army. If at the battle, you attend to walk away, El Cid is claimed to be not the Cid and he changes his diplomacy to enemy and attacks you.
- King Sancho's Champion (yellow/Spanish). One of the weakest teams on the map, they are present only at the beginning of the mission, when El Cid must kill the one Knight and Two-Handed swordsman that this team possess. They also surrender four villages to you at the beginning.
- Serfs (yellow/Spanish). They occupy a small region between the two forts of King Sancho and King Alfonso. They have a few villagers who work on farms, and are on the Dark Age. They get disgruntled should any of El Cid's army trample their crops, and will pledge themselves to the Cid if they see him in person, giving you four-five additional villagers and their houses.
- King Alfonso's Army (blue/Spanish). This team is the most powerful team on the map, and your only real enemy. You must destroy their Castle they have in the center of the map to win. They train an army of Scorpions, Monks, Spearmen (later Pikemen) and a couple of War Galleys patrol the rivers nearby.
- King Alfonso (blue/Spanish). The weakest team on the map, having only one unit: King Alfonso himself. By destroying the castle belonging to King Alfonso's Army, you gain control of King Alfonso, and must take him to King Sancho's castle next to the tournament arena where this mission first started.
Note: This is the Only Scenario of the El Cid Campaign to not have any Moors.
The Enemy of my Enemy Edit
El Cid must visit the Imam (purple) on an island to find out how to quell the civil unrest going on in the city of Toledo (yellow). The Imam (Purple) tells the Cid that he must find and capture the Relics that the Moorish (Green) and Spanish (Orange) rebels have control of. Two are kept in Monasteries, one is guarded by a castle and one is guarded by a palidase wall near some stables. You can visit Motamid (Cyan) at a Market near were you start..
The Exile of the Cid Edit
King Alfonso exiles El Cid to the Moorish lands out of jealousy. At first El Cid must collect his horse before setting off and having Alfonso change his diplomacy and attack but becomes your ally again after destroying his castle. You then gain Knights, Pikemen and Camels. During this mission, El Cid befriends the Moorish prince Motamid (green/Saracens), and together they must defeat the Spanish Count Berenguer (purple/Spanish). In this mission, El Cid controls a Saracen army.
Note: This is the only El Cid Scenario that King Alfonso's Army appears in where King Alfonso himself doesn't.
Black Guards Edit
El Cid begrudgingly must rescue King Alfonso (blue/Spanish) from the Black Guard Army (cyan/Saracens), Black Guard Navy (yellow/Saracens) and Yusuf (green/Saracens). Though he fights for King Alfonso against the Moors, El Sid has the Saracen technology tree. After establishing himself in King Alfonso's fort to the west, the Cid must destroy all of the Docks that the Black Guard Navy controls in the river to the south. There is also a Mosque towards the west, and if you convert it and leave behind a Monk, you will earn all Monastery technologies for free.
The Cyan player has its town in the southwestern part of the map, which is very vulnerable to attacks, since all of its army is located inside the Yellow computers city. Sneaking in a couple of soldiers and razing their town center will immediately cause them to resign.
King of Valencia Edit
Once again in control of a Spanish army, El Cid starts alone, and must collect troops from the nearby towns of Denia (green), Lérida (orange) and Valencia (yellow), he then must defend the Wonder under construction in Valencia from the armies of Count Berenguer coming from the north. Once the wonder is built, the scenario is won.
El Cid is dead, but in order to keep the Spanish Army's morale still high, his wife, Jimena, strapped his body to his horse, Bavieca. The Cid is not a playable character in this mission, he is a still unit outside your Castle. To win this scenario, Jimena must defeat the Black Guard Army & Navy, and Yusuf. After this scenario, King Alfonso and Count Berenguer go back to their states, and Jimena is given rule over Valencia.